Re: [tlug] [Reminder] TLUG BML in honour of Tobias Diedrich @ Tue Apr 8 1:30pm - 3:30pm (Tokyo Linux Users Group)

On 08/04/2008, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

>  OK, great, but as you are prosing everyone use Google Calendar it needs to
> be justified and the above answers apply equally well to email.

I am not proposing that everyone use Google Calendar at all; only that
those of use who use it or *any* *compatible* calendaring app
(including Exchange / Outlook, which I have to use at work) can
benefit from it. For example, I have an appointment on my work
calendar for the BML because I accepted the Google Calender invite in
OWA.

>  Questions 1. but what does Google calendar offer that email or posting on
> the site or even putting an iCalendar file on the web site doesn't?

Ease of use for the people creating the invites.

>  Question 2. why is Google calendar better then alternative web based
> calendaring services?
>
>  No idea, Anyone?

Because it does not try to lock you in, and in fact goes to some
lengths to stay compatible with other calendaring apps.

>  Potential problems.
>
>  1. How do we manage users.  If we don't then couldn't this be used to spam.
>  If we do then how are users who are just subscribed to the list going to
> post one off events.

How? Only the owners of the calendar (i.e. TLUG admins) have write access.

>  2. Its a beta, i.e. subject to change without notice.

So is Gmail. "Beta" means something different at Google, apparently. :)

>  3.  Google seems to offer an add to calendar button that you can use on
> your website to add events to Google calendars but is there any way to add a
> button to allow Google events to be added to alternative calendaring
> services, or directly downloaded.  e.g. can we include an add to yahoo
> calendars link if events are managed in Google calendars?

Yes, see above.

--
Cheers,
Josh