[tlug] [OT] Pre-Flextime & Automatic Ticket Gates

Totally off-topic, but I finally managed to get some of my old analog
video tapes digitized, and it's a bit jarring to watch them and
realize how much Tokyo has changed since the 1990-92 time frame I was
always walking around with a video camera in hand (I burned out four
of them taking around 400 hours of material).  A couple of examples:

You think the trains are crowded now?  Check out how it was before
companies began allowing flextime (1991):

Before automatic ticket gates - this one the east exit of Shinjuku
Station (1990):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-28511952765748213

By way of contrast, here is the same ticket barrier - taken about
three weeks ago (note the orange-hair gate crasher):

Lyle