Re: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks (was: linux: it's becoming ubiquitous)

On 05/04/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>  I suspect that sourceXchange had problems getting single bidders to
>  sign up for the whole production cost, as you suggest.  But
>  cosource.com's team offers had that problem that people tended to sign
>  up for unrealistically small amounts.

One of the problems with these online bidding sites is that the market
is flooded with contract programmers in Eastern Europe (and elsewhere,
but Eastern Europeans tend to a) speak English well enough, and b) be
of a more entrepreneurial mindset), where the cost of living is low,
who typically underbid talented engineers and win.

The resulting code is certainly not as good as what a professional
engineer would build. But it is cheaper (in the short term).

Steve, do you have any idea how the hot-shot consultants (Fowler,
Beck, et al.) work? How do they get hooked up with customers?

--
Cheers,
Josh