Re: [tlug] recommendations for user friendly CMS (with VMware?)

On 2008-03-24 13:43 +0900 (Mon), Josh Glover wrote:

> Curt, how does QAM do it? chroot jails?

It doesn't, really, at the moment.

The main issue is that QAM applications, to date, never run as root, so
some of the features such as chroot and so on can't work.

I've looked at introducing chroot, and it introduces all sorts of new
and interesting problems. For example, developers need to run their
tests, at least in part, as root, which means that they need root access
to the machine. Running development code as root on a regular basis
makes me nervous. Another option is to develop without chroot, and only
run with it in production, but then it doesn't get tested.

I'd love to figure out some ways to work around these kinds of things.

cjs