Re: [tlug] "Open source: Made in Japan?" blog

Hi Josh,

This came up as a double post from me. Looking at my sent mail it appears that I only posted once at 4/2 01:29 pm. The second post was dated 4/2 12:58 pm. Any ideas whats up.

Cheers,

Edward

Edward Middleton wrote:
Jim Grisanzio wrote:
Curt Sampson wrote:
I think that the language and culture barrier has just been keeping
westerners from noticing the amount of OSS work being done here.

I totally agree on the language/cultural barriers. I find very few in the west interested in development taking place in Japan, but I also find very little interest here in exploring anything outside of Japan.

I don't know, my experience has been that Japanese developers have more problems engaging with projects outside Japan but they have a strong interest in learning from outside development. I think this is mostly a result of an emphasis in the Japanese education system on reading rather then communicating in English. I know a lot of Japanese who can read and understand fairly technical English text but would not be confident to discuss or explain them in written or spoken English. I also find a lot of Japanese can't skim English text and pull out the salient facts.

Edward