Re: OSS and getting money for it (was: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:54:29 +0900
"Kenneth M. Burling Jr" <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

> > But what surprises me even more is that a lot of people, good
> > people, keep up with that. They don't switch to a better
> > job (where better doesn't necessarily mean better paid).
> > And thus managers with the "people are exchangable" attitude
> > don't get burned for their mistake.
> <snip>
>
> Easier said than done.
>
> The problem is a matter of comfort and confidence.  How do you
> know if you leave one job that the next one will be better?  How
> do you know there WILL be a next job.

Reducing it to my little engineering world in central europe:
There will be a next job. The workfroce market is so drained
that you can ask for double salary these days.

But even in "normal" years, you have a good chance as an
engineer to find something new within a few weeks.

And even then, one does not need to quit his job before
finding another one, so that argument is kind of mood.

> If you are single, that decision is hard enough.  If you are
> supporting a family, then it is that much more important to keep money
> coming in.

I know.

> That is the angle that most people look at the problem from.  They are
> not saying "If I leave here, it will make a stand," or "things may get
> better if they realize there are problems."  No, what they are saying is
> "It's only a job, I have to feed my family."

At the last company i worked, my project leader told me, that if
i don't like the job or the enviroment i work in, i should quit.
Because one spends more time at work than one does with the family.

(And yes, i quit that job :-)

			Attila Kinali
                         -- Deed of Morred