Re: [tlug] Gentoo

Josh Glover wrote:
On 02/04/2008, Joe Larabell <fred62@example.com> wrote:

[Phillip Tribble wrote:]

I have portage installed ok. I am trying to avoid compiling everything and
install binaries.
 Ummm... isn't compiling everything from scratch the whole crux of Gentoo?

I think this will make a lot more sense once you listen to the first rusher.webhop.org podcast (once I get time to finish editing it!), wherein I convince Phil that Gentoo pwnz Arch (sorry, Scott).

Phillip put it up a couple of days ago[1].

I could see installing Gentoo completely from the GRP packages, then
re-emerging things on demand when you change your mind about which
features you need. I do this quite regularly,

So how do you install a complete system from packages? I have never done this, I tend to do a stage1 build, customize everything that needs it, then tar it up as a stage4 for future reference.

Edward

1. http://tlug.jp/ML/0803/msg00596.html