Re: [tlug] Gentoo

Phillip Tribble wrote:
I tried to install Gentoo last night and I realized that you have to download everything separately from gentoo-portage.com. Is there a program that automatically fetches ebuilds and installs them without compiling?

If you have installed your system according to the manual you probably already have a portage tree in /usr/portage and so can skip the following step. If not download a snapshot of the portage tree from the mirror you got the install cd from and untar it i.e.

# cd /usr && tar -xjvf portage-latest.tar.bz2

then update it to the latest version with

# emerge --sync

if you want to build packages without installing it onto your system use

# emerge -B [package name]

where [package name] is the package you want to build

Edward