Re: [tlug] Ubuntu won't format a 2GB SD card as fat 16

On 31/03/2008, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:03:42 +0900, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
>
>  > Fdisk doesn't seem to want to read the drive either.
>  >
>  > $ sudo fdisk /dev/sdd
>  > Unable to read /dev/sdd
>
> Don't just follow that blindly. The card reader isn't necessarily going to
>  be sdd every time you insert it. Follow your system logs when you do insert
>  it in order to find out exactly what device node it is and adjust the fdisk
>  command accordingly.

You probably want to write a udev rule to make that slot on the card
reader always show up as /dev/sd_card or some such. That is actually
pretty easy to to:

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#udevinfo

I'll send you the relevant sections of my udev rules next time I boot
up my personal 'top.

--
Cheers,
Josh