Re: [tlug] Abiword and Japanese

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 26/03/2008, Niels Kobschaetzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:
>
>  >  Niels *who likes the tinker factor of OSS-OS but knows again why he
>  >  once switched to OS X*
>
>  OS X works pretty well out of the box, but good luck adapting it to
>  your workflow (Steve has done, apparently, but I had not the patience
>  for it). UNIX, on the other hand, takes some time to get set up the
>  way you like it, but then it Just Works Until You Foolishly Change
>  Something. ;)

Actually…I do not have the tools of trade in UNIX I have in Mac OS X
for my workflow but I'm a student in social sciences and need mainly
stuff for doing my research: Quicksilver as a launcher/multitool (in
the meantime there are a lot of clones of it out there but imho none
compares), Yojimbo for storing all interesting articles from the web
and all other notes and stuff, BibDesk as a comfortable tool to modify
my bibtex-files and managing my papers in PDF-form, TextMate is *the*
text-editor in my opinion (tried a lot, none compares -- hmm…how long
will it take 'til an emacs-guy responds to that…), Skim is  a great
pdf-viewer with annotation-abilities which won't actually modify the
PDF (thx to extended attributes), JEdict is a great edict-client, a
webbrowser and consistency in the system (shortcuts, look'n'feel…).
And it works as well, out of the box I have most of the basics, give
me a few hours more and my system is up and running (actually with
migration manager I do not really have to do anything…)

For most of the mentioned tools (actually for none of those tools
except the webbrowser) I did not yet find a good replacement in Unix.
I use Unix because I feel alienated in windows and it feels more like
home. I miss TTYs in OS X and I wish there were tools like the ports
(pkg_add & co), apt_get and so on for all the software on OS X (which
isn't realistic because there's a lot of shareware and commercial
stuff but we have at least appcasts now and therefore updating is a
blast). I use it when I do not have the possibility to install OS X on
a machine…and being a poor student a free laptop is a great thing ;)
Well, the tinkering factor of OS X is quite low imho except you use
stuff which can easily break your whole system…

Niels