[tlug] Abiword and Japanese

Hi!

After some strange problems (X suddenly didn't work anymore and
couldn't change the TTYs which is bad when you start X on boot and
hard powering down several times I got file system errors and stuff
that couldn't be repaired)  and mistakes by me (like setting the
root-bash to /usr/local/bin/bash and not putting an editor into /bin
(why isn't in FreeBSD actually at least one editor that can be used
when /usr cannot be mounted?)) I had to reinstall my system.

This time having some other problems setting up Japanese (and now
having another locale because fonts are behaving strange with
ja_JP.UTF-8 and are working fine with de_DE.UTF-8) I still have one
problem left.

Abiword will only show ° when I type Japanese (not using a dedicated
font for Japanese) or just white space when using a font for Japanese.
Any ideas what the problem could be?

Niels