[tlug] Web accessibility (was: CAPTCHA on keitai)

On 25/03/2008, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> I've seen them on several websites as an alternative for those with
>  visual imparements.

Speaking of which, web developers should really pay more attention to
accessibility issues. XHTML + CSS + Javascript allow for excellent
support for screenreaders with just a *tiny* bit of effort on our
parts.

I'm sure I read a great intro on this from Jeff Atwood or one of those
types recently, but Google ain't helping me remember. Anybody?

The gist is that accessibility on the web:
1) is easy
2) makes for better design (since you have to think about your layouts
from another perspective)
3) is The Right Thing To Do if you subscribe to the WS:DBAD school of thought[1]

The W3C has a pretty readable guide here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/

And this blog looks pretty excellent:

http://webaxe.blogspot.com/

Cheers,