Re: [tlug] The Mother of All (bash) Commands

On 2008-03-22 19:06 +0900 (Sat), Josh Glover wrote:

> On 22/03/2008, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>
> >  It's actually extremely efficient for the situation it was designed for,
> >  which is a large amount of very similar data on two machines and a slow
> >  network pipe.
>
> So what would you use in that situation? Just the straight tar piped
> to ssh (or nc) piped to tar?

You mean for the situation of wanting to copy or back up a large mail
spool to a remote machine over a very fast link? Ideally I'd have it on
a separate partition and use dump, since that will put rather less read
load on the disk. Without that available, I'd use tar. Then, yes, over
ssh or netcat, and on to the remote system. Unless I had some particular
reason for extracting everything on the remote system, though, I'd
just spool the dump or tar straight to disk, which would make for a huge
reduction in the write load on the remote system.

cjs