[tlug] Getting scim to work

Hi!

Having now a laptop with FreeBSD 7 up and running, I still have some
problems. One of them is that I do net get scim to work.
I use Xfce 4.4.2, gdm and scim is started via scim -d (and ps -xa
tells me that scim-panel-gtk is running and scim-launcher runs twice)

I am not sure if I have to use .xinitrc or .xsession (one site in the
net says .xinitrc, another .xsession) I have put in both:
export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

But I have the feeling that those are ignored.
The panel is nowhere to be seen. Once I saw the scim-panel and could
type in Terminal in Japanese but not in Mousepad. After restarting
scim, same problem as always no panel to be seen. ctrl+space won't
change anything.
Does anyone has any ideas? Google doesn't help anymore.

Any help appreciated :)

Niels