Re: [tlug] Gnome vs. KDE? BSD vs. Linux?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:23:06 +0100, "Niels Kobschaetzki"
>
> <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:
>

> > Can someone sum up the most important differences between Gnome and KDE?
>
>  If you're considering using an old laptop then the differences between
>  Gnome and KDE are irrelevant since both will bring the machine to its knees.
>
>  As others have opined, XFCE strikes a very good balance between usability
>  and bloat. I've used it for years now, keeping my old PII-300 laptop nice
>  and responsive.

I guess XFce will be then my first choice in the end even...

>  This said, I do have the KDE libraries installed all the same because there
>  are a few KDE applications that I like using. Konsole for one...

I want to use Kile and therefore I will need those, too

>  > And what about the (did)advantages of the BSD-derivates compared to
>  > Linux on an old PIII-laptop?
>
>  If you mean from an end-user's perspective then I suspect that the various
>  GNU/Linux distributions are maybe a little bit more user-friendly than the
>  *BSD offerings. BSD documentation, though, runs circles around GNU/Linux
>  documentation. At least that is my experience from using various FreeBSD
>  versions.

Well, after doing some more research on myself I want to try my luck
with FreeBSD. My friends run Linux but the ppl I work with from time
to time use only BSD-derivates on their customers servers and getting
more aquainted with it...

Thx for all the answers.

Niels