Re: [tlug] Who is www-data, and why do they want my CPU?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Dave M G writes:
> I know crontab is probably some regularly schedule program, but I can't > see it if I type "crontab -e", so I don't know what it is.

Try becoming root then "su www-data" and "crontab -e".

It looks like 'sudo crontab -u www-data -l' should list any cron tasks owned by www-data.

On my system it says
no crontab for www-data
which is what I would expect since I did a
find / -uid 33 -type f -print
where 33 is the uid for www-web from /etc/passwd. Also I don't have apache installed on this machine.

I suppose root could su a task to run as www-data, but I don't see any other way for that to happen since on my machine there are files owned by www-data.

Steve S.