Re: [tlug] [C&C--potentially] Heisei Emperor's support of XEmacs (was: Gentoo ebuild for XEmacs-21.5)

2008/3/17, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:
>  I don't know that Handa or RMS has ever admitted anything, but I know
>  what that history looks like to me.
>
>  If you want the long (and less historically accurate but more
>  interesting) version, I'll need a beer.

I watched the replay from both Emacs' POV[1] and XEmacs' POV[2].
And IMO, Lucid has done a wrong thing: they tried to hire a key person
from GNU just 2 weeks before Emacs 19 was released. I don't argue
that RMS is not *so* open with merging patches, but he creates a game
and its rule. If we don't want to join the game, we can take the ball and
play elsewhere. XEmacs did that.

I like the way how IBM joining Linux: They don't develop the Linux
kernel in-house
but keep sending their developers to the project. IIRC, IBM tops the
corporation
contribution to Linux kernel. So, when voting for something like
adding new features,
IBM does have more power than others.

[1] http://stallman.org/articles/xemacs.origin
[2] http://www.xemacs.org/About/XEmacsVsGNUemacs.html