Re: [tlug] Bashing away at Unix

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 11:14:13AM +0000, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:05:45 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
> <turnbull@example.com> wrote:
>

> > (Hint, lookup "builtins".)
>
> Fair point. I didn't think of that.
>
> > Note: I don't think that the result would change if you had
> > used /bin/echo.
>
> It won't, I don't think. ISTR wracking by brains trying to work out why the
> output of a perl script was seemingly being truncated by zsh at one point,
> but that quite a few years ago.

Darn, I seem to remember this same thing, and emailing Josh to ask why
it wasn't working. It was some simple little thing, (and probably echo).
At first I thought it simply wasn't working, Josh and possibly you
checked it, and only then did I realize that I was using zsh, tried
running it in bash and it all worked.  This was quite some time ago, and
I really don't remember the details.

Josh, you're younger than we are, do you remember this?
I sent you a direct copy of some simple perl command from a tutorial and
asked why it wasn't working?

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: I laugh in the face of danger.  Then I hide until it
goes away