>  I write conditionals like this:
>
>  if test -n "$1"; then
>     # do something
>  fi
>
>  not this way:
>
>  if [ -n "$1" ]; then
>     # do something
>  fi
>
>  Because one ancient /bin/sh on Solaris 7 or SunOS 2.5 did not alias []
>  to test. :)

I remember that, but it was older than you think.  I only used SunOS 2 briefly,
about 21 years ago.  I don't think there was ever a SunOS 2.5.
Solaris 7 by comparison is rather recent.  Sun version numbers have
gotten confusing.

I think the bad version was some version of SunOS 3 1987ish.

Maybe we can google an archive of SunSpots unless Sun coerced Google
into removing them out of shame.

Dang.  I remember hand creating that link, but I can't remember what year
I did it or the system it was on.  I'm old :-(.

-sb (I've lost count of the number of different Unix Systems I've used
and programming
languages I've written and debugged code in.  Sue me.)