Re: [tlug] Bashing away at Unix

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:50:58PM +0900, Brian Chandler wrote:
> profile going in .bash_profile ... I also guessed that $SHELL tells me what
> shell I am running in by default, and it says /bin/csh. But the current PATH
> setting isn't the same as in .profile... ah, but it's in .cshrc, and here's a
> curious bit:

FreeBSD gives root csh by default.  Are you running as root?  Of course,
you shouldn't.  :)

Also, the default shell for a user is /bin/sh.  I assume you've made
your default shell /usr/local/bin/bash.

What some people do is create a $HOME/bin directory.  Most systems,
Linux and FreeBSD, look for executables, including scripts, in
$HOME/bin.

I believe there are various reasons to not include . in a path, but I've
forgotten what they are.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Willow, tell 'em what I did.
Willow: You said you were gonna kill me, then Buffy.
Spike: Yes, bad, but let's skip that part and get to
the part where I couldn't bite you.