Re: [tlug] Re: "Password on localhost"

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 03:31:52PM +0900, Josh wrote:
> On 07/03/2008, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo@example.com> wrote:
>
> >  Initially, if you do not have one, you could probably so "sudo su -"
> >  and press RET for password if asked. Then use the change password
> >  command to create a new one for root. Then you can enter that one when
> >  prompted for the admin or root password in another application.
>
> Yuck. Isn't it better to change the user CUPS runs as, rather than
> subverting an important piece of Ubuntu's security model?
>
> Try this:
>
> http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/10/13/enabling-cupsys-web-admin-interface/
>
> Found with the following Google search:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cups+administrator+password+ubuntu&btnG=Search

Hrrm, so basically, Ubuntu's current security model means that you have
to google to get printing working?

Sigh--with CUPS now being owned by Apple, it could almost be a slogan.

Apple and Ubuntu--working together to make Microsoft the more attractive
alternative.

Ubuntu's stated number one bug is that Windows is more popular.  If
their basic design makes it necessary to google to set up a printer--and
I don't care if it's one minute of googling--that's a design bug.

It's possible, of course, that what usually works just happened to not
work in this case.

I don't do very much with Ubuntu, so I'm not sure, and it's far too late
to give it a try tonight.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Oh, sod the spell. Your friends are in the factory. I'm
really glad I came here, you know? I've been all wrongheaded
about this. weepin', crawlin', blamin' everybody else. I want
Dru back. I've just gotta be the man I was, The man She loved.
I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place-- I'll
 find here, wherever she is, tie her up, torture her until she
likes me again.