Re: [tlug] Would this really hurt spammers?

On 2008-03-05 11:28 +0900 (Wed), Dave M G wrote:

> But, unless I'm missing something, once spammers knew to look for the the
> spampoison URL and ignore it, this spam trap would be defeated.

True. But it still takes them time and effort to do this, increasing
their costs.

Assuming that they bother, of course. I'm not convinced that they care.
When you've got a fully automated delivery mechanism that scales with
the number of home Windows boxes on DSL connections that you manage
to take over, and even taking these over costs you no labour, you can
make a perfectly good profit on a reasponse rate of hundredths of a
percentage point. Whether your list of addresses is 20% deliverable or
5% deliverable is of little consequence; it's easy and cheap enough to
simply send out four times as much spam.

cjs