Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

On 3/1/08, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> No, me either.  But there are other aspects of reliability.  Eg, as an
>  XEmacs maintainer I have always found the system libraries of Sun OSes
>  (including X11 and Motif, as defined by RMS's definition in his
>  interpretation of the GPL as applied to XEmacs) to be as unreliable as
>  those of major open source OSes, not to mention the bundled utilities
>  like tar.

I see what you're saying and actually, I think they're more unreliable.
Open Source libraries can be fixed.  The bugs in the Sun X11 libraries
have been there for ages and will be there as long as Solaris exists.

When I was XEmacs maintainer and found a bug in an Open Source
library, I sent them a patch to fix it and got a "thank you for the patch,
it'll be in the next release" message.  And that was even for "obscure"
stuff like SJ4.  The Sun bugs I could only tear my hair out over and I
had some measure of "inside Sun" contact for awhile too...

-sb