Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

SL Baur writes:

 > On 2/29/08, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
 > >  There are still a lot of people who claim to be "computer
 > >  professionals" who don't understand that, whatever the
 > >  advantages of commercial OSes may be, reliability is not one.
 >
 > That was the case 2 decades ago.

It is still the case today.  Note that I didn't say that commercial
OSes are, or were, unreliable.  Just that this is not an advantage
over (some) non-commercial OSes.

 > I haven't had a Sun of any kind crash on me since my TRW days, 17+
 > years ago.

No, me either.  But there are other aspects of reliability.  Eg, as an
XEmacs maintainer I have always found the system libraries of Sun OSes
(including X11 and Motif, as defined by RMS's definition in his
interpretation of the GPL as applied to XEmacs) to be as unreliable as
those of major open source OSes, not to mention the bundled utilities
like tar.