Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

Evan Monroig writes:

 > I always wonder why people boast at not having rebooted for 100 days
 > or so.

Well, one reason is that a lot of us have been around long enough to
remember when people who knew what they were doing avoided Linux and
*BSD because they worried they were unreliable.  There are still a lot
of people who claim to be "computer professionals" who don't
understand that, whatever the advantages of commercial OSes may be,
reliability is not one.  And there is an OS that not too long ago was
known to crash every 57 days or so when the jiffie counter overflowed.

It still deserves emphasis that by and large FLOSS is *more* reliable
than the closed commercial counterparts.

 > I think that it make sense for computer to be on full time only for
 > servers

But I don't have any computers (except my Zaurus and my keitai) that
*aren't* servers in the sense of doing useful work while I'm away from
the keyboard.