Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 7:30 AM, SL Baur <steve@example.com> wrote:
> On 2/29/08, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>
>  > No. For example, a reasonably well encrypted disk partition will give
>  >  nothing away in any reasonable amount of time (e.g., the next few years,
>  >  at least) to anybody who doesn't have the key.
>
>  Quote and link below.
>
>  If you feel safe, cool!  You're not but whatever works for you.
>
>  -sb
>
>  http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1257

<snip disk encryption broken>

Ehm - it was stated that switching off your computer can help.
Stated from their FAQ [1]: "We found that information in most
computers' RAMs will persist from several seconds to a minute even at
room temperature. We also found a cheap and widely available product —
"canned air" spray dusters — can be used to produce temperatures cold
enough to make RAM contents last for a long time even when the memory
chips are physically removed from the computer."

As long you do not have to shut down your computer in a hurry because
the feds or other possible threats in human form are knocking on your
door - you should be safe from nightly intruders or people who steal
your laptop when you switched it off and your disk is encrypted.

Niels

[1]: http://citp.princeton.edu/memory/faq/