Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

On 2/29/08, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> if you suspend or
>  hibernate your PC, any encryption keys that are in memory, or will be
>  brought back into memory on wakeup, are easily available to anybody
>  with physical access to the machine.

Was this the same paper that was slashdotted recently?

Anyone with physical access to a machine is going to get whatever
data they wish if they are determined enough ... from your cold dead hands
if necessary.

That's always been the case.  A false sense of security is in a way worse
than no security.

I know I presented at a TLUG security-related technical session long ago,
but I forget whether I touched on this point.  Certainly nothing has changed
between then and now.

Actually one thing has changed.  If the leader of a nation can be assassinated
as easily as Saddam Hussein was, no ordinary person in the world has a
prayer of withstanding an attack that either leads to loss of life, loss of the
computer in question or both.

-sb