Re: [tlug] Speaking of computer usage ....

On 29/02/2008, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus+shape@example.com> wrote:

> 2008/2/29, SL Baur <steve@example.com>:
>
> > Just about *everyone* is missing the point why Linux rocks.  Free as
>  >  in beer?  Who cares?  I'd rather buy a CD/DVD of the distro or pay to
>  >  have it as a preinstall.  Free as in liberty?
>
> Is that the philosophy of the GNU project? I am using Linux because I trust it.
>  It gives me everything I need to see ( source code ) when I need. Why other
>  FOSS ( under GNU's definition ) is  like a religion, people use it
>  because they trust it.

I think you and Steve are both talking about Freedom Zero: the ability
to control every aspect of your computing experience if you so choose.

> Richness of features and simplicity is a trade-off. KDE and Firefos
>  are feature-rich because
>  both projects are trying to compete with existing commercial applications.

I am not sure if Firefox's complexity has anything to do with the fact
that it is competing with [IE]. Firefox has far more features than
does IE; its complexity seems to stem from the Emacs-like desire to
offer developers Everything and the Kitchen Sink.

--
Cheers,
Josh