Re: [tlug] utf form problems

On 28/02/2008, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:

>  I've never learned mod_perl,

There is not much to learn from the user side. Well-behaved Perl tends
to run under mod_perl with no modifications. From the admin side,
mod_perl is almost as easy. There are a few things that can trip you
up if you are trying to get fancy, but by and large, it is pretty easy
to get running.

>  but if i do my
>  first project will be to take the kana program and make it run under
>  mod_perl such that it only has to do the initialization once for each
>  time Apache is restarted. I *think* that's the main advantage mod_perl
>  gives anyway.

Well, the *main* advantage that mod_perl offers is that you only have
to pay the startup cost of the Perl interpreter itself once per Apache
child (I wonder how it works with the threaded workers in Apache 2?
Anyone know?). But yes, initialising a large data structure only once
per child will also help you.

--
Cheers,
Josh