Re: [tlug] utf form problems

David Shanahan wrote:

Sounds like perl might be treating your string as bytes rather than a unicode string, then muching them on output.

You should read the docs on the Encode module;
perldoc Encode

You may need to do
$string = decode("utf8", param("stuff"));
to tell perl the %E5%8A%A9 bytes from the form is actually utf8 string

also look at the docs on the -C option to the perl command (or the
PERL_UNICODE environment variable)
perldoc perlrun

and finally this has more background on utf8/unicode support in perl
perldoc perlunicode

Thanks David. This all looks really promising. I mentioned unicode/utf problems at the Perl Mongers last night (I'm in Northern California) and two people groaned but no one else knew what I was talking about. Part of the problem is knowing even where to start, and this looks really good.

I appreciate all the help from you tlug'ers. This is starting (barely) to make sense.

Thanks
Steve S.