[tlug] Funny stuff with emacs, latex and CJK

Hi all, I got rid of tetex and installed texlive, and now I can include
Japanese in my LaTeX documents much more easily (actually, ``at all'').
However, I'm having weird interactions with emacs when I do this. To get
Japanese to work in LaTeX, I set the file encoding to
japanese-iso-8bit-unix (for some reason, when I save the file as utf-8
and set the font encoding to UTF8, LaTeX tells me UTF8dnp or UTF8song
encoding is not defined) and include these lines in the prologue of the
document:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[global]{CJK}
\CJKencfamily[dnp]{JIS}{min}
\CJKfontenc{JIS}{dnp}
\begin{document}
\begin{CJK*}{JIS}{song}

But if I reload the document later, it appears as gobbledygook,
something like this:

2505�94���

Uh, I don't think that copied correctly. I see lots of vowels with
diacritical marks, and circles with little radial lines sticking out at
45, 135, 225 and 315 degrees. If I cat the file in a terminal it looks
fine.

Basically, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I would RTFM if I could
find the FM. Perhaps someone could recommend something for me to read.

(I'm using GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1, texlive-2007, cjk-4.7.0)

TIA
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR