Re: [tlug] HTML / WYSIWYG (&nbsp & &quot) Etc. (Snow!!!)

Godwin Stewart writes:
 > On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 20:13:45 +0900, "Lyle H Saxon" <llletters@example.com>
 > wrote:
 >
 > > 1) Is there something I can use in Kubuntu that allows WYSIWYG HTML
 > > editing similar to Netscape Composer 4.0 (which I was running on Suse
 > > 9.1 before)?
 >
 > The HTML generated by so-called WYSIWYG HTML editors is absolutely
 > horrendous. Looking at the two examples you posted in your query nearly
 > gave me a heart attack...

Try latex2html (perlsux perlsux) for real joy.

 > For the level of control you're looking for I sugest you bite the
 > bullet and learn how to write HTML and CSS yourself. It's not
 > difficult and your pages will be about 25% of the size of those
 > generated by dedicated editors if the level of nested crud visible
 > in your examples is anything to go by.

"sansei desu."

Lyle, check out http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/FamilyNews/2008nengajo
for a simple example.  I could have tweaked it a bit more, but I think
the results are pretty pleasing.  Note that I'm not a graphic
designer, which had a lot to do with the decision to leave well enough
alone.

This page's HTML is not good style; I should have separated the style
and the content more.  However I chose it as an example because all
the relevant styling is in the HTML file.

Regarding the double vs. triple space question, I don't have my CSS
textbook in front of me so I forget the attribute, but I know there is
a way to specify a "baselinestretch" factor to give single-, double-,
triple-, or pi/2-spacing.  By using a style on the body you can do it
globally, by using styles on individual elements you can override it
in a consistent way.  CSS 2 gives you almost as much control as LaTeX
(not TeX!) does, but is more easily understood because (unlike TeX) it
has an explicit Document Object Model.

I'm not sure what to recommend as an HTML editor, but I assure you you
will find that writing the HTML directly gives you pages that load
faster and gives you more control over the overall design of your
pages, as well as plenty of ability to tweak individual components.