[tlug] Perfect laptop (Was: Almost perfect laptop)

TLUG,

Good old Akihabara.

Managed to get a Panasonic Let's Note CF-Y2 for the same price I would have paid for the Cloudbook that I referenced earlier.

The awesome part was that it was originally about 12,000 yen more, but then I found out that if they removed XP, they would knock down the price. So I got a decent deal, plus the warm fuzzy feeling of not throwing any money to Microsoft.

It's light as a feather, has a DVD drive, SD card reader, and, critically, a nice screen capable of 1024x768.

One thing the Cloudbook had that this one doesn't is the built in webcam. Meh. Webcam schmebcam.

It's got a battery that's charging now. Looks like I might have about 2 hours worth of operational time. That's a lot less than the promised 5 hours with the Cloudbook, but since the power cord is tiny and light, I'm not so bothered.

Ubuntu installed in no time. Can't say for sure yet if everything is working smoothly, like the built in wireless and all, but it looks promising.

But in any case the ultimate goal of portable yet comfortable word processing has been achieved.

Thanks to all TLUG members for offering advice and tips.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G