Re: [tlug] Almost perfect laptop

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:15:46AM -0800, Walter Hansen wrote:
> Dave M G wrote:
> >Walter, Stephen, Al,
> >Walter said:
> >>Is it really that bad there? I'm in the US and on my second $400 (40man
> >>en) HP laptop. My new one is a AMD dual core. Both of them were 1280x800.
> >Sounds pretty good.
> >Is that the HP Pavilion dv2700t series? That's the cheapest one I could find
> >on the net, and it was 700 US$, and it included Vista.
> >Were you able to buy without Windows?
> >Your description sounds very much like the kind of thing I'm after.

One problem with some of the lowend laptops here is that they use the
Atheros 5007EG wireless card.  Running lspci incorrectly reports it as a
5006EG--madwifi is working on it and some have had success with a patch
of theirs, but at present it's still iffy.  (As for me, after 4 days, I
gave up and spent $50 for a linksys USB stick that worked more or less
out of the box, WUSB54GC.)

To add insult to injury several distros, including Fedora, have put
a 4K stack limit in their default kernel.   This causes ndiswrapper to
fail--once one tries modprobe ndiswrapper there's a kernel panic.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: When did you become Martha Stewart?
Buffy: First of all, Martha Stewart knows jack about hand-cut
prosciutto.
Xander: I don't believe she slays, either.
Oz: Oh, I hear she can, but she doesn't like to.