Re: [tlug] Almost perfect laptop

Dave M G wrote:
Walter, Stephen, Al,

Walter said:
Is it really that bad there? I'm in the US and on my second $400 (40man
en) HP laptop. My new one is a AMD dual core. Both of them were 1280x800.

Sounds pretty good.

Is that the HP Pavilion dv2700t series? That's the cheapest one I could find on the net, and it was 700 US$, and it included Vista.

Were you able to buy without Windows?

Your description sounds very much like the kind of thing I'm after.

Ack that was on sale from a local US store (best buy). They came with windows installed. The current one is a Pavillion dv6000, the older one is also a dv6000, but the newer one has better stuff. They probably normally go for $500-600. I'm not really sure how they do under linux though so you should read up before getting one or I could boot up knoppix and see if it finds everything nicely. I've never really used linux for a desktop machine, but have eight or so servers. I love the HP laptops, they seem a lot nicer and cheaper than the competitors. Both have the wide screen 1280x800 display.