Re: [tlug] Almost perfect laptop

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 03:07:20PM -0800, Walter Hansen wrote:
> > Dave M G writes:
> >

> >  > The best laptops I've seen for weight and screen size are some of the
> >  > Panasonic "Let's Note" series. But they come with a hefty 200,000 yen
> >  > price tag.
> >
> > Screen real estate is expensive.  So is increasing function/gram.
> > Case and webcams are cheap.  Keep looking, of course, but you
> > shouldn't get your hopes up too high.
> >
> > Unless you're willing to wait long enough for 1024x768 screens to get
> > cheap.
>
> Is it really that bad there? I'm in the US and on my second $400 (40man

In general you pay for portability with power.  The Let's Note series
(known as Toughbook in the US) are pretty decent spec-wise for the weight
and size however price is another matter.

One problem I have with 800x480 resolution is just how odd it is to surf
the web along with using some other UIs.  You really start feeling the
3rd class citizen when it comes to UI considerations after awhile.

Alain