Re: [tlug] detect fake HTTP referrer

Nguyen Vu Hung writes:

 > When users come to my site, they see the list of files and pick the
 > files they want.
 >
 > Adding an authentication method like what megaload or rapidshare do
 > is possible, but it will be annoying.

Well, anything you do to prevent this traffic diversion will annoy
somebody who is just doing what you want them to do.

 > My site doesn't provide image files, only rar and zip files are there.

It's still copyright, unless you've dedicated it to the public domain.

 > Some warez sites even add its domain to files name, protect files with
 > a password = domain name :D.
 >
 > Is this a good idea?

If you want the advertising, why not?  The password idea is just
another annoyance, though, like captchas.

 > Actually it went to the court:
 > http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=9018&magid=

Unfortunately, either the reporter or the editor doesn't have a clue.
The headline focuses on deeplinking, which AFAIK is legal, but the
article describes violations that basically amount to garden variety
copyright violation and have nothing to do with deeplinking per se.

Note that the W3C explicitly advocates deeplinking.  See the wikipedia
article for references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_linking