Re: [tlug] OT: Japanese dictionary

On Jan 1, 2008 10:08 AM, Marcus Metzler <mocm@example.com> wrote:

>     Marcelo> Considering the exorbitant prices of some of the
>     Marcelo> mentioned devices and that your child also plans to use
>     Marcelo> it, I'd suggest going for a Nintendo DS Lite plus a
>     Marcelo> software called 漢字そのまま楽引辞典 (Kanji sono mama
>     Marcelo> rakubiki jiten). It's cheaper, has more functionality
>     Marcelo> besides being only a dictionary, and the software itself
>     Marcelo> provides a nice set of features such as a virtual
>     Marcelo> keyboard, writing recognition using the stylus pen, a
>     Marcelo> list of kanjis similar to the one you intended to write,
>     Marcelo> J-E, E-J, J-J dictionaries, a small flashcard
>     Marcelo> application, etc.
>
> This sounds interesting. I just checked amazon.co.jp, but they won't
> deliver it to a German address. Does anyone know if this would run on
> a European DS ? If it does, is there a japanese shop that would
> deliver to Germany or is there a shop in Germany that sells it?

Nintendo DS has no regional protection. Try www.play-asia.com. You can
even pay via money transfer because they have some bank account
located in Germany available.
The problem for me with these Nintendo DS-dictionaries is that I don't
believe that they will offer the same broad content as a real Denji
Jisho does. In addition it is not as extendable. I use Kanji no
Kakitorikun on my DS though for practicing Kanji (even so it offers
only Kyôiku-Kanji but even there are a lot of gaps, not to speak of
the ability to write the Kanji actually and it's built for Japanese
children learning Kanji)
Ah well and there won't be a Wadoku/Dokuwa available for the DS as it
is with Denji Jishos (I wished I could extend my ex-word with the
Wadoku and the Enamdict).
I guess that it is useful for the now-and-then lookup but nothing you
can "really" work with but I guess that this depends only of the usage
pattern.

Niels