Re: [tlug] Installing Linux without a CD or DVD drive

On Dec 29, 2007 10:03 AM, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:
> On 12/29/07, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> > The laptops I'm considering do have USB input, so if I could find
> > someone who had an external USB CD/DVD drive, then that would do it.
>
> You would need to check the BIOS to see if you can boot from a USB
> device. If not then installing from a USB CD drive will not bring much
> joy. Successfully booting from Knopix would indicate it an install
> from the same device "might" be doable...
>
> Also, another route (besides the network install mentioned by others)
> would be to see if you can install from a PC Card CD drive. I have
> such a drive that you are welcome to borrow and test with.

I end usually up removing the hard drive, attaching it with an adapter
or frame to a desktop-computer, installing linux, modifying grub and
adjusting the configuration when the hdd is back in the laptop (works
great with linux but is a pain with the monopoly-OS)

Niels