Re: [tlug] Help: unrecognized disk

Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:22:50 +0900, "Keith Bawden" <keith@example.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this one works with above mentioned distros out of the
>> box, but it does work with gentoo box after I recompiled my kernel
>> with the needed drivers selected.
>
> And therein lies the rub. If you have to recompile the kernel for the
> controller to be recognized, how do you install the distro in the first
> place?

This is with Gentoo not Slackware, and there was a patch for the kernel
used by the installer.  I did the following

1. Create a minimal ramdisk with enough memory to install just the tools
 required to recompile the kernel.
2. Patched and recompiled the kernel and module.
3. Saved the module.  (I copied it to another machine with ssh)
4. Rerun the install cd and switched to a console and loaded the module
into the kernel which gave me access to the drive.

Edward