Re: [tlug] Amazon Kindle

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
burlingk@example.com writes:

> It would be arguably better for the companies, in that it would
> increase potential consumer base all around.
> > I know most companies don't look at it that way though. :/

They're right, you're wrong.  Openness to increase the consumer base
only makes sense in a context where there are strong network
externalities and weak (or negative) economies of scale in
production.  Otherwise, all that happens is a winner-take-all price
war.

I believe that The Divine Gospel of Saint John Maynard says "... only makes sense UNTIL there are strong network externalities."

It doesn't mean there isn't hope for "rational openness", but the
argument you make is a non-starter.

A non-starter _today_ but not always. I would expect the market to begin to rationalize within the next two years and progress along the line of the music player software shakeout. Given the media, though, I would not foresee the shakeout being faster for books than for music even though the pathways would be similar and recognizable to consumers.

But .. I am not an economist nor do I portray one on daytime television ...

--
CL