RE: [tlug] Amazon Kindle

burlingk@example.com writes:

 > It would be arguably better for the companies, in that it would
 > increase potential consumer base all around.
 >
 > I know most companies don't look at it that way though. :/

They're right, you're wrong.  Openness to increase the consumer base
only makes sense in a context where there are strong network
externalities and weak (or negative) economies of scale in
production.  Otherwise, all that happens is a winner-take-all price
war.

It doesn't mean there isn't hope for "rational openness", but the
argument you make is a non-starter.