Re: [tlug] Amazon Kindle

Curt Sampson wrote:

Except for the fact that it's US$700, which is twice the price of the Word Gear. Ouch!

But slightly less than twice the price of the Kindle.

On 2007-11-26 12:36 +0900 (Mon), CL wrote:

...doesn't it highlight the fact that the Kindle and it's WiFi system

The Kindle is not WiFi, it's cellular packet.

Yeah, I got those mixed up without trying too hard.

Kindle is certainly not a very open system. On the other hand, it looks
to be pretty heavily subsidized, so this is not such a big surprise.

Which brings us to the question I wanted to ask before I started thinking too much -- it appears that as an e-book, neither the Iliad nor the Word Gear have access to content anywhere near the number of titles nor the breadth of information that Kindle does.

And, if I understand your other point correctly, Amazon is willing to convert content for a minimal charge upon request as it expands the library and adds to potential revenue ... or, did I misunderstand your comment on that part?

--
CL