Re: [tlug] Amazon Kindle

On 2007-11-25 10:06 +0900 (Sun), CL wrote:

> I hadn't twigged to the "no backlight" problem before I read this one ...

It's not an unreasonable design choice. Keep in mind, a backlight would
make it use power when displaying a page; currently it uses none. (I
believe that with that screen technology, if you remove power to the
screen, it stays as-is, rather than going blank as an LCD screen would.)

On 2007-11-25 12:25 +0900 (Sun), Drew Hamilton wrote:

> If you want to see what an e-ink display looks like in real life, you
> should go to Yodobashi or whatever and find a Librie, which I think is
> still being sold here.

Really? Bic Camera had them for a few months after Sony released them,
and then they vanished.

The Librie was a classic Sony failure: a great product, but you had
to use only special Sony-designed memory cards, and much worse, you
could only read stuff in a proprietary Sony format. I'd have bought one
instantly if I could have used it to read PDFs off of standard SD cards.

Imagine if the original Walkman had used only special proprietary Sony
cassette tapes, and you could only listen to music that Sony (which
didn't own a media company at the time) would sell you.

cjs
Starling Software     <office-admin@example.com>