[tlug] Editing the source XML of SVG

TLUG

I'm creating a bunch of line art drawings in SVG that I will then edit within PHP to do some dynamic transformations before displaying on the web.

I'm trying to find a readable and helpful set of instructions on how to manipulate groups of objects to do the following:
Scale group with X and Y proportioned
Scale in X or Y separately
flip on vertical axis
Refill colour on all group elements
jitter slightly points in group
overlay SVG files onto one another

So far I've been able to figure out how to change the color on one object, but not on a group. Outside of the very technical W3C documentation, I'm not finding much in the way of user friendly tutorials.

Anyone have any tips on where I might look for such a resource?

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G