Re: [tlug] Re: IPv6

Scott Robbins writes:

 > Hrrm, perhaps to you, Josh and the other masters.  However, to folks
 > like me it's nice to have the EXAMPLES section, things like having
 > ifconfig actually give an example of giving an alias (the Linux ifconfig
 > manpage

Ah, well, that's just a bug.  Probably occasioned by the lack of
attention to manpages on a system where Info manuals and HTML HOWTOs
are the preferred forms of documentation, I admit.  I think a lot of
your issue with Linux *documentation* comes from the fact that it's
not in manpage form.

 > gives you no idea of the syntax on Linux) and even the small
 > bits of extra effort such as the Linux ls man page telling you that -F
 > appends a /*@example.com after the listing and giving you no idea why.  Whereas
 > the FreeBSD manpage says:

While the coreutils Info manual says:

`-F'
`--classify'
`--indicator-style=classify'
     Append a character to each file name indicating the file type.
     Also, for regular files that are executable, append `*'.  The file
     type indicators are `/' for directories, `@' for symbolic links,
     `|' for FIFOs, `=' for sockets, `>' for doors, and nothing for
     regular files.  Do not follow symbolic links listed on the command
     line unless the `--dereference-command-line' (`-H'),
     `--dereference' (`-L'), or
     `--dereference-command-line-symlink-to-dir' options are specified.

Not bad, eh?  :-)  In other words, man pages aren't primary sources on
GNU/Linux systems.

 > Changing jobs and having to use Linux man pages after getting used to
 > FreeBSD ones reminds me of how I learned to play guitar on a piece of
 > junk, got good and bought a good guitar, and many years later, taught my
 > niece on a junky one.

Well, yeah, except you should have been teaching her piano on the
Steinway over there. ;-)