Re: [tlug] Yet Another ISP Question - dynamic IP addresses

tlug@example.com writes:
 > Hi Keith,
 >
 > On Friday 16 November 2007 10:56:09 Keith Bawden wrote:
 > > requires I change IP addresses as often as possible.
 >
 > I don't know if it would work or not, but I figured I would throw out this
 > idea: would a new IP address be assigned if you unplug your ADSL modem (from
 > the phone jack) and plug it back in?  I know that doing that with the
 > ethernet cable works for computers that are using DHCP.

Not necessarily, it depends on the configuration of the DHCP server,
and on whether your client implements the address request protocol.
That's why Keith is shopping.

What you could try, Keith, is using the -r option to dhcpcd (I assume
dhclient has it too).  Just probe the address space available to DHCP
until you get a different address.  I suspect that most providers will
configure to ignore/refuse this option, but worth a shot.