Re: [tlug] SMTP woes

I am using YahooBB! ADSL for my internet connection.  I want to be able
to send email via SMTP.  Since August I have been able to do it with my
hosting provider overseas (not YahooBB!).  For the last 2 days I have
been unable to do this.
Yahoo BB did the same thing to me 3 years ago, without any
notification. And in the next day, I called the support center and quit.

I've always received an announcement.
Last month I received one pointing me to their schedule for blocking outbound port 25. [1]
Note they recently blocked Gunma, Ibaraki and Saitama.

At the moment I am trying to use Gmail as an SMTP host, but I can't get
that quite working either...

That should work, gmail uses encryption and those ports are usually not blocked. There are instructions available on their site on how to do this.

Regards,
Birkir

[1] https://ybb.softbank.jp/support/utility/op25b/schedule.html