[tlug] [OT] An ncurses question

I am reading a book on ncurses, and it states that by default
most changes write to the stdscr, and do not update to the
curscr (current screen) until you use the refresh() function.

However, on my system it would appear that changes are made
directly to the curscr, and I do not seem to be able to find
a way to change that behavior.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Perhaps the behavior
has changed in newer versions of the library?

--
Ken