Re: [tlug] Instructions for Attending the tech meeting in Second Life

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, emiddleton@example.com wrote:

If we can get it working seamlessly so that the slides and demos display
quickly and the voice is clear then it is potentially less fiddly on the
client end.

I dunno. VNC is not terribly hard to install and use, probably easier than Second Life, and if we can stream the video in a Flash (or maybe QuickTime) format, I think most users will already have the software, as opposed to having to install Second Life. As well, the Second Life client seems to be a bit more limited under Linux; does it do video yet?

The big issue with IRC, as I see it, is that it distracts from the
presentation. If we reserved IRC for questions to the speaker and have
someone relaying the questions it might work better.

That is the standard way of doing it at every presentation I've ever seen that accepted questions from the net.

I guess one of the hopes of using something like Second Life was that
we would give a sense of presence to/for remote participants.

Personally, I find that watching a real person move about and talk on a small, flat screen gives me much more of a sense of presence than watching a cartoon character stand and do nothing on a small, flat screen.

cjs